Bukidnon hit by 5.9-magnitude quake
Location: Bukidnon, Philippines
Date Published: November 19, 2019
Officials from the Provincial disaster and risk reduction management council in Bukidnon filed their initial reports on the damage wrought by the magnitude 5.9 earthquake which jolted Bukidnon province at 9:23 am Monday, November 18.
According to the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs), the epicenter of the temblor was Kadingilan town in Bukidnon. Phivolcs recorded 33 aftershocks as of 4:04 am Tuesday, November 19.
- Sibonga – Almost all of the household were damaged, 8 houses major damage (falling concrete, window glass shattered, cracked on the wall, kitchen and comfort room fell down);
- Kibogtok - Major damaged on the ceiling and cracked on the wall in the health center;
- Husayan- 6 houses totally damaged, 2 households unsafe to stay;
- Pay-as - Several houses partially damaged, no casualty/injury, residents advised to stay in open areas;
- Cabadiangan - Cracks on the columns of the public terminal, 3damaged houses
- SANHS – Annex Cabadiangan - Cracks on some walls and columns on the 2-story building visible, hard flex ceiling fell down and shattered;
- Kibalagon Elementary School - Debris from classroom cracked walls were visible;
Romo added that classes are suspended in all levels in both public and private schools, however, work in government offices remained open.
"We also asked our residents that if there are aftershocks, they must go to open fields to avoid injury," Romo said.
In Valencia City in Bukidnon, City Police Chief, Lieutenant Colonel Surkie Sereñas said that the CDRRMO and the city police conducted a damage assessment.
In a text message, Sereñas said: Please be informed that rapid damage assessment from CDRRMO and Valencia CPS initially found the following information:
- Esther Hospital located along Sayre Highway, Lumbo, Valencia City incurred cracks, patients were evacuated outdoors, monitoring for casualties ongoing;
- Two houses – one in Brgy Tugaya and one in Brgy Laligan – incurred partial damage but no one was injured;
- Lumbo Elementary School incurred cracks;
- Sinabuagan Elementary School has minor cracks;
- Tongan-Tongan Elementary School Administration Buildingincurred cracks.
Hamsel Echavez, supervising administrative officer of the provincial Public Affairs Information and Assistance Division, said that classes are suspended in all levels in Maramag, Dangcagan, Kitaotao, Quezon, Kalilangan, Kadingilan, and Valencia City.
"In Barangay Camp 1 in Maramag, we have 80 evacuee families, and we are doing an inspection in all municipalities," Echavez said.