48-hour hard lockdown of Tondo to start on May 3
Location: Tondo, Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines
Date Published: April 30, 2020
Manila Mayor Francisco "Isko" Moreno Domagoso formally ordered on Thursday, April 30, a 48-hour "hard lockdown" of Tondo 1 district which will begin on May 3 and last until May 5, 2020.
Moreno signed Executive Order No. 22, shutting down the entire district from 5 a.m. of May 3 up to 5 a.m. of May 5, for the purposes of disease surveillance, verification or testing, and rapid risk assessment in relation to COVID-19.
Under the hard lockdown, all residents of District 1 of Tondo, Manila will be strictly confined to their residences and prohibited from going outside of their homes, except for health workers, officers and members of the Philippine National Police (PNP), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), and government workers.
Also exempted are those working in pharmacies, drug stores, and funeral home establishments; public utility companies such as energy companies, cable, internet and other telecommunication, water, sanitation companies, and critical transport facilities, including port operation.
Moreover, the exemption is extended to service workers providing daily essential services including delivery of essential goods cargoes, food delivery services, banking, and money transfer services; barangay chairpersons, secretaries, treasurers, kagawads and executive officers.
Meanwhile, merchants in the Divisoria area within the vicinity of Barangays numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 will be allowed to vend within the allowable time and place prescribed by the city.
All other commercials, industrial, retail, institutional, and other activities not mentioned in the above exemptions in the said district shall be suspended within the specified period of shutdown, the order stated.
Meanwhile, Mayor Isko has also issued schedule restrictions on Blumentritt market on getting reports that shoppers had been crowding the area in violation of the government’s physical distancing measures.
According to Moreno on Tuesday, different schedules will be placed for Manila and non-Manila residents, to limit the flow of people in the area.
Under the new regulations, Manila residents are allowed to enter the market from 5:00 a.m. to noon, while non-Manila residents can access stores from noon to 4:00 p.m.
Blumentritt market, as Moreno noted, is near the boundary of Manila with Quezon City and Caloocan.
“As a good neighbor, Manila will continue to allow entering so that you can shop for all your needs,” Moreno said, referring to residents of those neighboring cities.
Meanwhile, wholesalers would be allowed to enter the Blumentritt market from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Previously, photos and video clips from a Radyo Inquirer report showed crowds swelling within Blumentritt market, despite enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) regulations forcing people to stay at home.
Blumentritt is one of Manila’s busiest marketplaces, as it is accessible to residents from Manila’s neighbor cities.
Before the ECQ, Blumentritt market vendors stretched up to Rizal Avenue, near the Light Rail Transit and Philippine National Railway stations.